Spicy and hot chili con carne wrapped in pizza dough. Need to say more? You must already be drooling!
Chili con carne is a classic meal, very popular in the southern part of the US. Based on a meat-and-beans concept, it didn’t take long before it conquered the world to become a household favourite worldwide. The idea is simple, you just need a strong stomach to enjoy the spices and aromas.
While you can really enjoy it with rice or jacket potato, I was thinking of a way to combine it with pastry. The idea is simple: make your chili, use it as a filling topped with cheese and wrap it with pizza based dough. Bake it and…voila!
Great for lunches, dinner parties etc. Even better for your palates!
- 500 gr (18 oz) lean ground beef.
- 2-3 juicy and ripe tomatoes.
- 1 onion chopped.
- 1 carrot chopped.
- 1 celery stick chopped.
- 2 red chili's finely chopped.
- 2 garlic cloves finely chopped.
- 1 red bell pepper chopped.
- 1 tin can of cooked kidney beans.
- 1 tablespoon (or more) of dried oregano.
- 1 teaspoon of ground cumin.
- 1 teaspoon chili powder.
- ½ teaspoon ground cinnamon.
- 500 ml (17 fl oz) tomato passata.
- 3-4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil.
- Salt and ground pepper.
- Grated Cheddar cheese.
- Ready-made dough for pizza base.
- Add the olive oil in a large frying pan and brown the ground beef on high heat. Add the spices and season with salt and (not much) pepper.
- Add the onion (keep aside ~ 20% for the bombs) and garlic and let it cook for 3-4 minutes on medium heat. Give it a stir from time to time. Add the carrots, pepper and celery. Keep cooking for a few more minutes.
- Chop the tomatoes with a blender and add the smooth paste in the pan. Add the passata and bring it to boil. Lower the heat to minimum and let it cook for ~ 1 hour until you have a thick and consistent sauce.
- minutes before you finish cooking the beef, add the kidney beans and stir well.
- Preheat the oven to 190 degrees Celsius (375 F).
- Roll the pizza dough to create a thin base. Cut it in small pieces, around 3x3 inches. Add a spoonful of the meat mixture and top it with some chopped onion and Cheddar cheese. Fold it to create an envelop or “bomb” and place it on a tray covered with greaseproof paper.
- Cook in the oven for ~ 30 minutes until golden brown.
- Bon appetit!