A recipe for delicious chicken burgers in the oven stuffed with Feta and tomato. Very easy and fast to make.
You love burgers right? Everybody does, even those terrible and plastic ones from fast-food chains. When you are hungry and starving, what do you think of? A burger or a kale salad?
Ok, maybe I exaggerate a bit but the truth is that a nicely-grilled patty of minced meat with herbs and spices is welcome any time. At least to me.
Now, the point is that you don’t need to have a barbecue at home to enjoy a nice burger. The oven can do miracles, trust me. The other point is that you can skip the beef and enjoy a juicy and healthy burger with chicken.
That’s right, you can make your own fresh chicken burgers at home! It will only take you ~ 20 minutes to make and 30 minutes to bake them. Of course, you can substitute chicken with turkey. Turkey breast can be an even healthier option.
To serve the burgers, I propose a very simple sauce: use one cup of Greek yoghurt, one teaspoon of Dijon mustard, chopped cucumber and fresh chopped basil. Mix altogether and…voila!
- 500 gr (17 oz) ground chicken (preferably from thighs).
- 1 large onion.
- 1 small bunch of flat-leaf parsley.
- A small bunch of fresh thyme.
- 1 egg.
- 2 slices of bread.
- 150 gr (5 oz) Feta cheese crumbled.
- 2-3 ripe tomatoes.
- 1 tablespoon extra-virgin olive oil.
- 1 tablespoon dried oregano.
- 1 teaspoon of ground pepper.
- 1 teaspoon of salt.
- Add the onion, parsley, thyme and olive oil in a blender and chop them coarsely. You don’t need a paste so chop them for 2-3 seconds (depending on your blender).
- Add the chicken, mix from the blender, egg and oregano into a large bowl. Soak the bread slices in water, squeeze them and add them to the bowl. Season with salt and pepper. Use disposable vinyl gloves (chicken is quite sticky) and knead the mix for a few minutes. Let it rest for 15-30 minutes.
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees Celsius (360 F).
- Use the gloves again and get some of the mixture at the size of a golf ball. Make a flat patty, add some crumbled Feta and a slice of tomato and cover it with another patty. Make sure the burger is “sealed” at the edges. Place it on a tray covered with grease-proof paper. Repeat with the rest of the mixture.
- Bake the burgers in the oven for ~ 30 minutes until golden brown.
- Bon appetit!