Great-looking and delicious eggplant cupcakes for an easy meal or starter! It’s easy, cheesy and has all the right ingredients for a healthy and tasty dish.
It can be a great vegetarian meal if you avoid the bacon cubes. Adding them just gives an extra kick for the meat lovers. Not that they are boring without it! I strongly recommend to try them with some hummus or yogurt.
If you fancy, you can use the eggplant mixture and make some fritters instead of baking them. Just use plenty of sunflower oil in a frying pan and drop a tablespoon from the mixture. A little heavier that way but definitely worth it.
- 3 eggplants.
- 1 onion chopped.
- 5-6 spring onions sliced.
- 1 medium potato grated.
- 1 egg.
- 2 garlic cloves.
- A bunch of flat-leaf parsley.
- 200 gr (7 oz) Feta cheese crumbled.
- 100 gr of grated yellow cheese (Cheddar, Monterey Jack etc).
- 100 gr (3.5 oz) bacon cubes or lardons.
- ⅓ cup of extra-virgin olive oil.
- 1 teaspoon of paprika.
- Salt and ground pepper.
- Cut the eggplants in half along their body, place them in a large colander and season with plenty of salt. Leave them for ~ an hour for the bitter juices to come out. Wash them well and dry with kitchen paper towel.
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees Celsius (360 F). Place the eggplants on a tray with the flesh facing up and spread some olive oil on top using a kitchen brush. Bake them for ~ 30 minutes until golden brown.
- Remove the skin of the eggplants and put their flesh in a blender together with the garlic and parsley. Give it a go to make a smooth paste.
- Heat up 2 tablespoons of olive oil in a frying pan on medium heat. Add the bacon (or lardons), onion and spring onions and cook until onions are softened and bacon starts getting brown.
- Grate the potato and squeeze it well to remove all of the water. Add it to a large bowl, together with the eggplant paste. Add the egg, onions and bacon, Feta and yellow cheese. Season with salt and pepper and stir well. Do not use much salt because Feta is quite salty.
- Preheat the oven at 180 degrees Celsius (360 F). Prepare your cupcake tray by brushing some oil on the sides and bottom of the cups. Use a spoon and fill the cups with the eggplant mixture.
- Bake for ~ 30 minutes until golden brown.
- Bon appetit!