A hearty and filling frittata recipe with spinach and leeks for an easy and fast weekday meal. I have enriched it with a bit of sausage to make it even more appetizing. You can omit it and have a nice, healthy vegetarian dinner.
Omelettes are amazing! They are easy to make and you can exercise your creativity to prepare delicious meals. No, I am not talking about omelettes served in hotels for continental breakfast. I just worship the way the masters are doing it, the Italians and Spaniards.
Long live frittatas and tortillas!
The secret of this frittata is the last part of the process: finish the cooking in the oven. First, let the bottom of the eggs get fried in the pan. Do not turn upside down. When ready, cook the top by placing it in the oven. Brilliant!
You may use fresh or frozen spinach. They will both do the job. I like to add some dill when I cook spinach, it gives a nice kick. Do not use salt if you are using Feta or a similar cheese. Feta is quite salty.
- 300 gr (10 oz) spinach chopped and drained.
- 1 onion chopped.
- 1 leek sliced.
- 200 gr (7 oz) smoked sausage sliced.
- 100 gr (3.5 oz) Feta cheese crumbled.
- 4-5 eggs.
- A small bunch of fresh dill chopped.
- 3-4 tablespoons extra-virgin olive oil.
- Ground pepper.
- Heat the olive oil in a large frying pan or skillet on medium heat. Start cooking the onion and leek until softened.
- Add the spinach and stir well. Let it cook until it releases all its juices. Careful not to burn it! When most of the juices have evaporated, add the dill, sausages and season with pepper. Give it a stir and cook for another 3-4 minutes.
- Preheat the oven at 200 degrees Celsius (390 F).
- Add the Feta and stir well. Whisk the eggs in a bowl and pour them into the pan. Use a wooden spoon to make sure that the eggs are well spread all over the pan and have reached the bottom. Fry the frittata for 2-3 minutes without turning it.
- Place the frying pan in the oven to finish cooking the eggs and get a nice colour on the top. Make sure that your pan can sustain the heat, especially the handle! Let it cook for 10-15 minutes. Use a kitchen glove to remove it from the oven. It's hot!
- Serve the frittata hot with a salad and lots of bread.
- Bon appetit!